purely conjectural

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Salut

I've decided I wanted to start blogging again, since now that I've
begun graduate school (and am, in fact, almost done with my second
year with it) I do and see and know more interesting things than when
I blogged before--not that I let it stop me, of course. Unfortunately,
I've noticed that the amount of things going on in my life is
inversely proportional to the time I have to blog, naturally, so I
haven't thought about doing it in a couple years. Plus I'm not a.
single, b. sad, or c. convinced of my own innate ability to fascinate.
But, here we are, and here I am.

Plus, I went to the zoo today for our VD date. Who doesn't enjoy
entries about zoos? (Although zoo pictures themselves tend to be skipped over--just indulge me here).


Photobucket


The Topeka Zoo is pretty fascinating in its low-keyness; the grounds
sit smack in the middle of Gage Park in Topeka, across the street from
a playground and, on the other side, some houses, and is much longer
than it is wide. The many signs that are around the land indicate that
it's a project rooted firmly in the care and contributions of local
business. This is not an uncommon thing I've noticed in zoos, but
Topeka's so little, and their tigers and orangutangs and bald
eagles are sitting between baseball diamonds for kids.

Most of their flora and fauna was inside the Tropical Rainforest area,
where they seem to shunt any sort of animal that can't handle the
cold--also, the large things that won't eat one's face. Consequently,
we ran around with many tropical birds, an iguana, a lion tamarind, a
sloth and its tiny baby sloth, and lots of bats. Observe:


Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket


A fabulous, low-key Valentine's Day. Nick got flowers for Friday the
13th delivered to my office yesterday:


Photobucket


And I bought him a binary watch, to help him with addition for D&D and
also because it's spectacular.

Kevin's in town, so instead of working on my presentation for Tuesday
(which is a neat topic--ballad revival in romantic stuff, in tangent
with our readings of Lyrical Ballads), I'm now going to a
coffee shop to pretend like I'm working on reading the books.

More about where we're at in life later. For now, content yourself
with pictures of our date which, as you'll notice, are not in
Arkansas, but in Kansas, where we are now.

Posted by stochastic :: 7:05 PM :: 1 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

-------------------------------------